For my first post I thought I would share my favourite and most simple recipe - Butterfly Cupcakes
For these wonderfully light little cakes you will need :
- 4oz Caster Sugar
- 4oz Butter (preferably 'Stork' baking butter)
- 4oz Self Raising Flour
- 2 Medium Eggs
- 1tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1tbsp Milk
For the buttercream you will need :
- 5oz Butter
- 10oz Icing Sugar
- Caster Sugar (Usually 10oz but add to your taste)
To make the cakes :
- Preheat the oven at 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4.
- Line a muffin tray with cupcake cases.
- Cream together the butter and caster sugar until pale and fluffy.
- Beat the 2 eggs into a measuring jug and pour the eggs into the butter/sugar mixture a small amount at a time - make sure the egg is fully beaten in each time you pour it.
- Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Use a sieve to cover the mixture with the flour.
- Once the flour is in use a large metal spoon to carefully fold flour into the mixture, once the mixture has started to stick add the tbsp of milk.
- Keep folding the mixture until smooth
- Drop the mixture into the cake cases filling them roughly half way.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes or until golden brown, test with a cocktail stick, if it comes out clean they are done!
- Leave them to rest in the tin for 10 minutes while they cool then transfer to a cooling rack.
- Once cooled use a knife with cut out a small cone from the centre of the cupcakes, cut the piece that falls out in half to make the butterfly wings.
- Add the buttercream to the centre of the cakes and place the wings back on top.
To make the buttercream :
- Beat the butter until soft.
- Add the icing sugar and carefully fold it in mixing carefully.
- If the mixture is a bit dry add a small dash of milk.
- Finally add the caster sugar, the more you add the sweeter and more textured it will be.